[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Snakes

I can recommend a good book for identifying snakes:  The Audobon Society Field
Guide to Reptiles and Amphibians.  It has lots of good color pictures and
descriptions of the snakes (and others) including their habitats and ranges.

The "triangular head" theory is inexact and not very accurate and could get you
into some trouble if you think something is not poisionous because its head
is not quite triangular.

Snakes are really neat creatures (I have one for a pet and my four year old son
has one also), but some of them are really not good to have around.

As for your black and white little snake, it could have been some sort of
rattle-snake, but could have been some other kind as well.  If it was acting
that aggressive, you probably did the right thing to kill it (if you walk in
that area a lot).  Keep in mind that one hatchling probably comes with several
others at the same time and in the same area.

Good luck and happy snaking!

John