Re: [nafex] Grafting filberts/hazels

Apply NOW!
http://click.egroups.com/1/9146/15/_/423498/_/969162515/

Sam,

I want to make the corkscrew hazel nut (of Harry Lauder's walking stick fame).
It's an ornamental and all the branches corkscrew up so it is hard to get a
straight piece and if grown from cuttings it is very bad at suckering.

You do get hazelnuts on the corkscrew hazelnut, but the squirrels get them all.

In fact, I stopped growing hazelnuts because the beaver kept reducing them to
stumps ... every stem was chewed off at about 16" (I had tree guards that came up
16").

I had a young walnut tree nearby with a low branch (about 12" off ground) so I put
a tree guard on the trunk and on the low branch.  The beaver reached up and the
tree guard pushed back towards the trunk of the walnut tree and she chewed off the
branch at about 12"!!

Luckily my orchard is two gates away from the creek so she doesn't come after my
apple trees.

Derry

Derry Walsh & Bill Chase  email:wchase@interchange.ubc.ca
Aldergrove,  B. C.,  Canada
phone/fax (604) 856-9316
Home web page  http://www.interchange.ubc.ca/wchase/HTML

: I don't know why you want to graft filberts.
: They seem to root very readily from cuttings here in Oregon.
: Sam