Re: [nafex] Rabbits

Here in Oregon where Hudson's Golden Gem originated, it does crack, but only
when the trees are young.  After a few years the cracking stops.  And yes,
when it is very ripe, it is soft and mellow like a pear, with a pear-like
flavor.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, unusual fruits, writing, consulting, more, at
http://www.hevanet.com/lonrom

----------
>From: jhecksel@voyager.net
>To: nafex@egroups.com
>Subject: Re: [nafex] Rabbits
>Date: Tue, Dec 26, 2000, 8:11 PM
>

>dwalsh/wchase wrote:
>>
>> Joe,
>>
>> Was your russet that  cracked St Edmunds' Pippin?
>
>No.  It was Hudson's Golden Gem.  I remembered a few other causualites.
>Holstein is gone due to water core.  Most of the Jefferis has also been
>thinned out.  There was nothing wrong with Jefferis, just that I could
>have more flavorful apples in another week.  I find that I value "mild"
>less as I get older.  Maybe the tired, old taste-buds need a little more
>kick to register....who knows.

Click here for more details:
http://click.egroups.com/1/10801/0/_/423498/_/977880213/