Re: [nafex] aspen for fertilizer

> The material is referred to as ramial wood chips or cuttings
>and are harvested from young poplar (aspen), and used as mulch. The value
>is in the size of the young trees that are chipped having different
>properties
>than older wood. There is something about the ratio of young bark to wood
>and the nutrients and (maybe proteins?) included in this material. This
>makes it a nutrient mulch which produced superior growth when compared
>to ordinary mulches.
Doesn't need to be aspen; anything works, doesn't even need to be in leaf. "Ramial" is the important part- lots of bark and cambium. And don't till it in. Works for vegetables too. Celine Caron's article was in the summer '94 Pomona, and reprinted in the Permaculture Activist #32 by my initiative. I was intrigued because so much in the piece backed up my experiences using fresh tree service chips. Things like "melanization of the soil in the first season after application"
I have had young bamboos extend rhizome 30 ft. under a tree chip mulch in a single season. And, yes, people always tell me you can't do it because it "robs nitrogen from the soil". "With a sixgun, no doubt," I reply as I harvest....
-Rick Valley

Rick Valley Northern Groves
PO Box 1236, Philomath, OR 97370
Mobile-(541)602-1315, hm.& msg. (541)456-4364  Bamboo catalog $3 or at
<http://www.teleport.com/~dbrooks/bamboo.html>
"Useful Bamboos and other plants‹ Permaculture education‹ Ecological design & consultation centering on water,landform and horticultural systems"