Re: [nafex] Pollenizer for Snaps pecan

At 12:11 AM 02/10/2002 +0000, Kevin wrote:
>Anyone know if Carlson 3 would be ok as a pollenizer for Snaps? I
>ordered Cornfield but the nursery was out of stock and intends to send
>me Carlson 3 instead. If not, do you know of any that do for usre
>pollenize it? Or some general info on pecan pollenizers.

Apologies if this is a duplicate posting, but I can't tell that anything I
did from home this weekend, via webmail, actually went anywhere.

Most of the 'published' information on pollen-shed/nutlet receptivity
patterns for pecans is geared toward the Southern varieties.  There may be
some info on the northern/midwestern and far northern varieties buried
somewhere in the annual reports of the NNGA, but I'm not immediately aware
of it.
Check out the NNGA website( http://www.northernnutgrowers.org ), if you
haven't already done so.  They have an 'ask the experts' page, and one of
the experts may have the answer to your question.

John H. Gordon Jr. (he may be one of the NNGA pecan 'experts) has done a
lot of work with the far northern varieties - I think he was involved in
the selection of Snaps & some of the other varieties.  Check out his
website at: http://www.geocities.com/nuttreegordon/OKgordon.htm

The USDA Pecan Breeding & Genetics Program website has some information on
northern pecans, though most of their info is geared toward the Southern
and commercial varieties.  Website is worth bookmarking, though, for the
cultivar descriptions and nut photos.
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/carya/

Planting several varieties, with varying pollen-shed/nutlet receptivity
patterns will enhance your likelihood of getting good nut set on all.  Even
within the protandrous and protogynous groups of Southern pecan, there's a
fairly wide range of pollen shed/nutlet receptivity times among the various
cultivars.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY