Re: reply to Wytze on corn pollination

Hi Wytze,
The PCR tests have most frequently looked for  the CaMV  promoter gene and the Nos terminator gene but since the figwort mosaic virus is being used frequently accommodation has been required. Mostly now a coding sequence from  a Bt Cry gene  or from  the bacterial genes used in roundup ready crops are used to detect GM pollution along with promoter  and terminator. Primer sequences , as I know them, are just the sequences from a transgene, promoter or terminator  used to "prime" the PCR amplification of the DNA.
The ELISA test is a very sensitive  use of  a monoclonal antibody to bind to a particular protein, for example, the Bt Cry protein or  bacterial enzyme used to make roundup ready crops. The complex  is detected by  ab enzyme linked to the complex. The enzyme acts on a dye or radioactive substrate  to produce a color or radioactive product to detect the GM protein. ELISA is sensitive and cheep and can be used in the field to locate GM products. However, it is less sensitive than the  PCR method. ELISA is designed for a known target  protein , a transgene product in this case, but is not equipped to detect  unknown proteins.
Finally, the danger of setting "acceptable " pollution of living material with transgenes  and the living organism can amplify itself rapidly.Furthermore, feed grain or raw grain for human use will be planted by poor people and their is no way around that other than genetic extremism in use of  terminator.
Hope this helps, Sincerely, Joe

geno@ZAP.A2000.NL wrote:
Hi Joe,

Thanks! There's still a lot I don't understand about these testing
methods. I heard every gmo has its unique identifier called a
primer? Do they test on CaMV promotor or do they use all different
kind of primers? Does ELISA detect any "foreign" protein?
thanks in advance and best regards.

wytze