Re: Reasonable questions

Reply to Byron Simond's questions:

Byron Simonds wrote:

joe cummins wrote:

Replying to byron,
Your support of dale seems to be a vote for something but certainly not
scientific studies.  For example, the fifty years ago that you and dale
subscribe to was in a period  before DNA had been studied in corn Watson
and Crick  published the DNA double helix model in 1953 and their was no
simple and reliable way to accurately measure DNA in corn at that time.
I know because I was a student at Wisconsin at that time and my
supervisor was a corn cytogeneticist. Why do you two think that
comments  in old text books are more meaningful than current research
studies? Why do you two think it is smart to make comments that you are
not willing to support with publication?

Do you have a better "model" for the replication and combination of DNA?" Has this changed with the advent of Genetic Modification? If I learned
from a new text book from some 1953 work that would put me near 70+ years old. I not even 50.

answer: Certainly, the ideas of  DNA and its replication have only begun
in 1953, by 1972 when genetic engineering was invented better ideas were
available and presently transposition and paramutation which was known
before 1953 could finally be understood. Classical recombination and
gene mapping gave way to sequence analysis after genetic engineering was
introduced. However, xenia was well understood by 1953. I am exactly 70
years old and recollect the visit of Watson and Crick to Wisconsii in
the 1950s like it was yesterday. The work before 1953 could not tell us
much about transgenes.

You and dale seem to agree that  five or so  transgenic corn plants in a
field  of one thousand corn stalks cannot spread their pollen in the
wind and produce  a crop of corn polluted significantly with transgenes.
But your views  ignore the wind and other factors that may spread the
pollen  and the factors effecting endosperm production.

What if the pollination occurs out of since , which is more likely than not, with the rest of the crop?

answer: I have not seen any evidence of transgenic corn asynchrony in
any publication and can see no reason for it. The Mexican land race
pollution indicates that transgens spread and and asynchrony provides
cold comfort.

Wytze originally asked whether or not  5  transgenic corn plants in a
thousand safely assured  that the corn crop would not be polluted above
.5% in the final food.

JOE I believe the QUESTION WAS (as retrieved from SANET ARCHIVE)...........