Re: [SANET-MG] soybean rust a new dread

Hi Dale ,
It is always a treat to learn your strange  'authoritative' patter. In
reply to those comments:
1.Regarding toxic testing of Healine: The information you provided is
disturbing The class of fungicides is associated with birth defects in
mammals However, the information provided on Headline by BASF was that
they did not have information on birth defects and cancer..Birth defects
are no joke!
2. Regarding your claim that the RR trait is outbred: Your encouragement
that  RRsoy should be bred with other strains  , would, I believe result
in a visit from a gaggle  of layers  and other goons form Monsanto!
however, I think you are very brave to have confessed  to breeding RR
soy on the sly!
3. Regarding  your "authoritative" comments on Texas cytoplasm:  The T
cytoplasm in a locus that resides on the mitochondrial chromosome of  of
maize. Please excuse me, but your comment on "whole" cytoplasm just
suggest that you did not take time to look it up! Or perhaps you have
founded a new area of genetics?
4. Regrading the simplicity of avoiding  genetic uniformity: You seem to
believe that jolly  agriculture bureaucrats  are dancing around urging
farmers to save seed and breed RR soy  with their native varieties! That
is certainly a novel thought, perhaps one you save for April 1!
Gosh, Dale it is always  nice to hear about the things you know :-) !
sincerely,joe

Dale Wilson wrote:

Joe,

Soybean rust is only new to the USA and Canada where it is called
an asian soybean rust that blew in from South America on the
hurricanes. The fungicide used to treat it, Headline®, is a
member of a fungicide family called strobilurins.  There have
been no cancer or birth defect studies done on that fungicide
as far as I can gather.

All modern pesticides are studied for years before registration.  Data
on birth defects and carcinogenicity is always required by the EPA.
The strobilurins, mushroom derived toxins, are very well studied and
widely believed to be safe.  You may believe that more study is
required, but it is misleading to claim that no studies have been done.

http://www.micromedex.com/products/poisindex/updates/strobilurin.pdf#search='pyraclostrobin%20toxicity'

There is a tangible fear among USDA people, not because the disease
is new so much as because they have gambled on RR soy.  Most growers
grow that one strain  -  introduced a short time ago in genetic
terms.

The RR trait is essentially one gene on one chromosome, not a "strain."
Breeders use backcrossing to transfer the trait into their own
varieties, while retaining the characteristics and genetics of the
recurrent parent.  Generally speaking, cultivated soybeans are narrow
genetically, but this has nothing to do with the RR trait or molecular
biology.

James wrote:

it is a little misleading to claim that the varieties currently
being produced are therefore "monomorphic", in terms of soybean
rust. This accusation would only apply if the rust resistance
is "linked" to the RR gene...

The principle is very clear, genetic uniformity in RR soy poses
a clear and present danger. I am staggered to think that there are
those so dense that they do not recognize a principle that is about
as good as you can get...

The Southern corn leaf blight epidemic in 1970 catalyzed by widespread
use of TMS cytoplasm is not a good analogy to RR soy (or any single
gene trait) for simple genetic reasons. Texas male-sterile cytoplasm in
corn is not a single locus, but *the whole cytoplasm*.  It comprises
all the extranuclear genetics of the plant, and thus presents a much
larger window of vulnerability than any single gene trait ever could.

I have a feeling that the  those in USDA, academe and corporations
who turned their backs on the dangers of genetic uniformity will be
the first to be picked by really dumb politicians to cope...

I don't think it is fair to blame public-sector scientists for what is
driven by industry (and conformist farmers).  And I have been around
private sector breeders enough to know that they are constantly trying
to include exotic germplasm.  But the realities of sales and marketing
keep pulling toward the same old standardized apppearance, processing
specifications and yield.  Everybody knows genetic uniformity is a
risk, but it is not a simple matter to prevent it from happening.

Dale

Visit the SANET-MG archives at: http://lists.sare.org/archives/sanet-mg.html
For more information on grants and other resources available through the SARE program, please visit http://www.sare.org.