Re: [SANET-MG] Legal basis for protection and avoidance of liability

Hi Dale,
In reply to your comment, think how good it would be if organic producers were compensated for their losses when their polluted organic products cannot be exported around the world! It would be sane, of course, to tell organic growers where GM crops or GM field trials were being conducted in their area then they would know what to test for. Nevertheless, the Gm crops mainly contain herbicide tolerance genes and or BT genes which makes testing fairly easier. For polluted "organic" marketed in US USDA has opened a trap door and pushed the "organic " growers down, down ,down. The philosophy of USDA has been the US would be a better place if the people were just slopped likes hogs and just stop their complaining! I doubt that organic can survive USDA in USA as the world recognizes that the term "organic" in USA is a government sponsored fraud!
Sincerely,Joe
Dale Wilson wrote:
Hi Joe,

Since the USDA organic standards do not mandate freedom from GM
contamination, and since there is a virtual consensus among
mainstream scientists that such corn is "substantially
equivalent" the court would probably find that no damage had been
done".

USDA probably screwed the organic producers  by their rather
arbitrary declaration that organic or conventional growers will
not lose certification if their crop is polluted by a nearby GM
Crop(this point I have frequently pointed out many times in earlier
letters). This seems to mean that GM polluted organic can be
marketed at will in USA.

Think how bad it would be for organic growers if they had to test every
batch of their product for every transgenic construct.  It would be a
testing nightmare.  Only the very largest organic farmers would be able
to sell anything.  The situation is not really any different with
long-residual pesticides.  That beautiful, dark, organic soil on your
farm might have traces of dieldrin or DDT from 30 years ago, that get
on the crop and could be found relatively easily with an electron
capture detector on a GC.  It would only cost about $300 a pop.

I realize you would like to foment a political crisis and flood of
legal action by pushing the GM-in-organic contamination issue.  But for
the reasons I described in my first post, the crisis would probably
backfire legally and crush small organic farmers.

There is only one thing that could turn this around politically in the
US, a bonafide health catastrophy from transgenics.  Not too likely.

Dale

Visit the SANET-MG archives at: http://lists.sare.org/archives/sanet-mg.html
For more information on grants and other resources available through the SARE program, please visit http://www.sare.org.