[SANET-MG] humanized rice for phytoremediation

It seems to me that the use of rice with human cytochrome p450 genes is a very bad idea. The GM rice is bound to contaminate the food supply providing food rice that activates PAH air pollution to active carcinogens for consumption.
J. Agric. Food Chem., ASAP Article 10.1021/jf0511143 S0021-8561(05)01114-3
Web Release Date: October 18, 2005
Phytoremediation of Metolachlor by Transgenic Rice Plants Expressing Human CYP2B6

Hiroyuki Kawahigashi,* Sakiko Hirose, Hideo Ohkawa, and Yasunobu Ohkawa

Plant Biotechnology Department, National Institute of Agrobiological Sciences, 2-1-2, Kannondai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8602, Japan, Faculty of Life Science and Biotechnology, Fukuyama University, Gakuencho 1, Fukuyama, Hiroshima 729-0292, Japan, and Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries Research Council Secretariat, 1-2-1 Kasumigaseki Chiyodaku, Tokyo 100-8950, Japan .

Abstract:

We introduced the human cytochrome P450 gene CYP2B6 into rice plants (Oryza sativa L. cv. Nipponbare), and the CYP2B6-expressing rice plants became more tolerant to various herbicides than nontransgenic Nipponbare rice plants. In particular, CYP2B6 rice plants grown in soil showed tolerance to the chloroacetanilide herbicides alachlor and metolachlor. We evaluated the degradation of metolachlor by CYP2B6 rice plants to confirm the metabolic activity of the introduced CYP2B6. Although both CYP2B6 and nontransgenic Nipponbare rice plants could decrease the amount of metolachlor in plant tissue and culture medium, CYP2B6 rice plants could remove much greater amounts. In a greenhouse, the ability of CYP2B6 rice plants to remove metolachlor was confirmed in large-scale experiments, in which these plants appeared able to decrease residual quantities of metolachlor in water and soil.