Re: Compost Tea and Organics

Hello Chuck & other saneters following this thread,

In relation to Chuck's post of Wednesday, November 13, 2002:

I will be brief. I agree with everything he said, yet suggest a
different solution.

While the concerns he mentioned are real, this particular issue
(food safety in relation to organic food grown using compost teas)
can and should be resolved by putting a fully operative HACCP system
in place. (HACCP = Hazard Analysis via Critical Control Points).

The presence of a HACCP system should resolve the issue and be taken
into account by those responsible for the NOSB & NOP.

Incidentally, I learned about HACCP from materials sent to me by
Charles Benbrook in 1989, when he was head of the Board on
Agriculture of the National Research Council. The book: "An
Evaluation of the Role of Microbiological Criteria for Foods And
Food Ingredients" (National Academy Press) was one of those sent
(others were related to animal health and disease, as well as food
products of an animal origin). HACCP systems for fruit and
vegetables do exist however.

Designing a functional HACCP for this issue could begin right here.

Does anyone else agree?

Douglas

.