Compost Tea and Organics

        I have learned much from the ongoing dialogue re compost and compost
tea safety and thank the technical experts for taking the time to walk the
non-microbiologists among us through the issues/science.  I agree there is
much more to learn re how to assure compost safety and that the U.S., for
certain, has underinvested in this promising technology.

        Still, the unresolved scientific and food safety issues surrounding
compost, and especially compost tea, pose a major challenge for not just the
sustainable ag/organic community, but also for FDA/USDA and practising soil
microbiologists.  I appreciate the passion and knowledge Elaine brings to
this issue, and her patience and clarity in many recent posts, but her views
are not universally shared among the relatively small group of scientists
charged with the responsibility of advising the NOP/USDA re how to move
forward with the regulation of compost tea applications under the NOP.  I
have had a chance to discuss the recent work of the compost tea task force
with some of its members and am concerned by the degree to which the work of
the task force has come under attack, from a variety of quarters.

        We all know that some of the most strident enemies of organic
agriculture have latched onto compost safety as an Achilles Heel of organic
farming and that they will misrepresent the views of scientists, government
agencies, the local bartender to make their point and raise concerns.  Of
course they will also fully exploit any disagreements within the organic
community, a process now under way.

        The NOP/USDA, and the compost task force, have to be cautious and
deliberate in moving ahead, and indeed their recent report and decisions
could be regarded as consistent with the precautionary principle.  There
must be a very firm foundation if/when NOP/USDA endorses/permits
applications of compost tea under circumstances that might, even very
occassionally, result in a heightened risk of E. coli contamination.  Anyone
who believes that technology and processes now exist, or can readily be
developed, that would assure food safety following applications of compost
tea should take their case, and data, to the task force and other technical
advisory bodies. But as we muddle toward concensus, the conclusions of these
bodies must be accepted, even when some among us feel they are wrong.
Constructive responses in the face of misguided technical advisory body
conclusions is to assure that the committees in the future are composed of
open-minded people lacking conflicts of interest; are given the background
and data needed to understand the issues they have been asked to review; and
to package/present data and information before the committees in clear and
compelling ways.

        The way the organic community deals with potential compost food
safety challenges will be among the decisive issues shaping consumer
attitudes and interest in seeking out organic food.  I hope everyone with
scientific/technical skills and experience on these issues will find a way
to work cooperatively and together to assure that the pursuit of the disease
control and agronomic benefits of compost is carried out with a degree of
patience, caution, and humility, recognizing that there is much we do not
know and many lessons yet to be learned about the practical control and
application of these technologies in the real world.

        Chuck Benbrook

.