Re: Pathogens in the Environment

Alan,

> I am concerned by the seemingly cavalier attitude that it is O.K. to
> introduce pathogens into the food supply and the environment. I must
> disagree with Elaine that washing and cooking will fix the problem.
> Many foods are consumed raw and not cooked.

I think the risks being discussed (human pathogens in food from compost
tea application) are extremely low, so low that idealogy, models and
wild guesses replace facts.  It is not clear that there is a problem at
all.  The organic community should keep on eye on this but not worry
too much about it.

> Once again it is not the pathogens that we should be focusing on, but
> the questionable quality of any material that supports pathogens.
> I find it interesting that Elaine states that humans that are health
> compromised are more likely to support the growth of pathogens. Why
> does this same logic not apply to crops, animals, manure, etc. If the
> materials that I am using to produce fertilizers, soil amendments, or
> growth enhancers support the growth
> of pathogens, I am using the wrong materials.

I think you have an overly rosy view of nature.  Anyway, the organisms
being discussed are not *infecting* the crops or the compost, just
hitching a ride.

Dale