Re: Compost Tea and Organics

Dear Dr Benbrook:

I appreciate the tone of your post.

The problem as I see it, is that a task force on compost issues, including
compost tea, was brought together that did not include any of the advocates,
advisors, or practitioners of compost tea making, specifically Dr Ingham and
some of the firms she works with.

I don't pretend to understand the politics of who is in and who is out in
creating these groups, but I do know that when you exclude a group of
stakeholders from a process such as this, then issue a finding which
undermines their work directly, the result is not likely to be a satisfied
and happy bunch of campers.

Any future body formed about the issues of compost tea should certainly
include Dr Ingham or someone who can represent a similar viewpoint.
Furthermore, the group should at least attempt to perform a literature
review, and conduct a sampling of the various commercially produced
products, for both positive and negative aspects.

It should not be difficult to access the underlying research such a group
relies on for its recommendations. Every effort should be made to be open,
to receive and respond to comments, and to clearly state assumptions,
research needs, opinions of various task force members, and the basis of
recommendations and conclusions.

It should also attempt to put these things into clear and simple language so
that farmers and other growers as well as consumers understand what is
known, what is assumed, and what else needs to be done.

Clearly, no one out there has a total, thoroughgoing understanding of all
the details of microbial action in water, soil solution, phyllosphere,
rhizosphere and solid state environments such as drier soils and composting
and vermicomposting environments. Our best researchers, of which Elaine
Ingham is certainly one, admit that we are barely scratching the surface in
terms of knowing who all the actors are, and knowing exactly what each does.

But, as Russel Bulluck used to like to close his posts:

"The soil population is so complex that it manifestly cannot
be dealt with as a whole with any detail by any one person,
and at the same time it plays so important a part in the soil
economy that it must be studied. "
--Sir E. John Russell
The Micro-organisms of the Soil, 1923

Indeed in one of his pithier posts on a closely related topic, Russ lays out
the reality for us:

"Here's the good news and the bad news. . . The good news is that pathogenic
strains of enteric bacteria (such as the dreaded E. coli O157:H7) produce
toxins that require a large energy output, and as such, these organisms are
not normally good competitors in the soil environment (being used to the gut
of cows, the bugs in the soil no longer have a constant and rich nutrient
supply or constant and pleasant 37 degrees C temp). The bad news is that
some
enteric bacteria will likely be found in soil! We don't live in a sterile
environment, but luckily, most of the bacteria in soil (and our food for
that
matter) are not harmful.

Let me say this. . . the food that we eat (be it vegetable, mineral or
animal)
has bacteria on it or in it. That's right, our food has bacteria in it. . .
millions of bacteria. Our skin has bacteria on it, as well as fungi, mites,
some nematodes (likely as not), and other bugs that literally make your skin
crawl (does everyone feel a little itchy now?). Most bacteria and fungi are
not that bad. If they were bad, we'd not be here! "

http://www.sare.org/htdocs/hypermail/html-home/43-html/0129.html

I personally want organic food to be food grown in a living soil, with a
full and active foodweb. That means, yes indeed, there will be millions of
bacteria on it, of a large diversity, and fungi, and other stuff. That
living food is what we all evolved on; it is what we have eaten for
countless millennia.

People who want or need sterile food should either not buy organic food (or
conventional food, either, for that matter) or they should cook the heck out
of everything.

I think the big bugaboo on compost tea down at the NOSB is fear of 0157. I
think every time 0157 is raised as an issue, it should be pointed out that
the big breeders of this pathogen are the CAFOs, especially grainfed cattle
feedlots. It is true that such operations are sufficiently widespread that
0157 could be on everyone's farm, and that suitable precautions should be
taken; see for example:

http://www.cog.ca/efgsummer2000.htm#ecoli

But it is also true that if we really wanted to greatly reduce 0157 in the
environment, we would stop the practice of grainfeeding ruminants. All the
costs associated with this practice are now being borne by the larger
society, including consumers, and organic farmers who are largely not to
blame for it.

However, I think in this context it is quite interesting to expand Elaine's
suggestion, that a compost made from manure containing E. coli would
contain, after it matured to the point of  elimination of this pathogen, the
necessary antagonists to protect crops growing near a CAFO or near fields
where inadequately treated CAFO manures are spread from 0157 infection.

"Addition of beneficial bacteria and fungi to an apple's surface might speed
the process of removing pathogens through competition and consumption.  That
would be some interesting research.  So, maybe applying good compost tea
would result in safer fruit, and less likelihood of contamination."---Elaine
Ingham, letter to SANET, 18 November 2002

Of course, that would require that we had really good tests for 0157 that
could be applied to teas. Such tests seem to be coming online:

http://www.montana.edu/wwwpb/univ/ecoli.html

So, if the Compost Tea Task Force [I'm assuming that's what it will be
called] wants to get more respect, it needs to be open, inclusive, and
demonstrate strong scholarship as well as outreach and education abilities.
Surely the positive potential represented by compost teas deserves a more
thorough hearing, and the issues of quality control further inquiry?

Dr Benbrook, I note at Dr Brinton's site:

http://www.woodsend.org/articles.html?a_uid=1

"For a paper by Charles Benbrook regarding the necessity of this
committee-process, click here Commentary "

I am unable to get the site to open. Can you provide us with your paper
elsewhere, and did you really mean that *this* committee-process was
necessary, or that *a* committee-process was necessary?

Isn't a more inclusive committee-process likely to advance matters better?

Thanks in advance for any further light you can give on this,

Frank Teuton