Re: [SANET-MG] Charcoal's dubious merits

John, and others following this thread:

The potential importance of charcoal, or certain types of coal extracts, as
soil amendments, is highlighted by research into the Terra Preta phenomenon:

http://www.css.cornell.edu/faculty/lehmann/terra_preta/TerraPretahome.htm

" Amazonian dark earths have high carbon contents of up to 150 g C/kg soil
in comparison to the surrounding soils with 20-30 g C/kg soil (Sombroek,
1966; Smith, 1980; Kern and Kämpf, 1989; Sombroek et al., 1993; Woods and
McCann, 1999; Glaser et al., 2000). Additionally, the horizons which are
enriched in organic matter, are not only 10-20cm deep as in surrounding
soils, but may be as deep as 1-2m (average values probably around 40-50cm)!
Therefore, the total carbon stored in these soils can be one order of
magnitude higher than in adjacent soils.

" Furthermore, the organic matter in the dark earths is persistent since we
find these elevated carbon contents even hundreds of years after they were
abandoned. The reason for the high stability of the soil carbon is currently
under discussion. So-called black carbon was identified as a probable reason
for the high stability (Glaser et al., 2000). Further research is necessary
to quantify the recalcitrance of the soil carbon over long periods of time
and determining techniques for creating such soils. The structural
similarity to charcoal led the authors to assume that accumulation or
purposeful application of organic carbon from incomplete combustion may have
been the primary reason for the high carbon contents and fertility of these
soils (Glaser et al., 2001), a theory that had been proposed by Smith
(1980). If they were actually created by charcoal applications has still to
be demonstrated."

See also:

http://www.energybulletin.net/1337.html

http://www.discussanything.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-68405.html

http://www.bidstrup.com/carbon.htm

Any intelligent discussion of the use of charcoal in creating sustainably
fertile soils needs to reference and discuss the whole Terra preta concept
and research, it seems to me.

Frank Teuton--still awaiting Joel Gruver's promised review of the literature
on composting versus fresh application of organic residues; charcoal would
be somewhere well before compost on an ascending scale of least to most
labile carbon, methinks...