[compost_tea] In need of CT recipes

From: irene bensinger <irene_at_trilliumwoods.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 18:39:50 -0700

Hi, Little moon. I'm glad to see that someone from the rose list made
it over to the compost_tea list! : )

Jeff, I need a recipes, too. I recently bought a 5 gallon KIS, which,
of course, comes with three sets of innoculate/food. But I really
want to use my own compost (both from my compost bins and from the
worm bin), which I've determined grows Santa Claus beards just fine.

And, following up on sprayer suggestions from the list, I've ordered
the Hudson concrete compound sprayer, the one that can handle up to
35% solids. It should be here in about a week.

I've had an order in for the Compost Tea Manual for a while, but the
new 4th edition isn't back from the printer yet. Maybe next week.

I have the following stuff on hand:

Finished compost (under cover in the garden)
Vermicompost (in the Can O' Worms)
composted hog fuel (shredded cedar bark) mixed with composted donkey manure
(about three years old)
alfalfa meal
canola meal
kelp meal
organic blackstrap molasses
organic chicken feed (mixed grains, cracked but not ground)
Maxicrop
Neptune's Harvest
Coast of Maine digested (stinky!!) salmon
Gaia's Moon Leonardite
(I'm not sure why I have this, or what it's for. It sounded like a
good idea at the time...)
organic fish meal
organic fish bone meal
20 acres of mixed species (firs, spruce, hemlocks, alders, maples,
etc.) forest floor
Manure from two donkeys, two llamas, a goat, a sheep and 7 hens

What I don't seem to have is any liquid humic acid.

I've been looking at the organic fertilizer pages of the Peaceful
Valley catalog and I feel overwhelmed! Everything sounds like it's
the best stuff going. I'd really appreciate suggestions for stuff
that I really need, not just stuff I fall for.

We live in a cleared area in the middle of 20 acres of woods on sandy
loam soil, have water from the well and from captured rainwater, all
untreated. No particular diseases beyond a couple of
prone-to-mildew/blackspot roses which I keep meaning to shovel prone,
but can't quite bring myself to it. Vegetable garden pests include
slugs!!, some leaf miners, some cabbage loopers, and later in the
summer some grasshoppers.

Birds stay busy in the garden, and orchard mason bees use the holes
I've drilled in the fence posts to lay eggs to over-winter. Lady bugs
keep the aphids under control. We've only planted disease-resistant
varieties of roses and apples, and we've never had problems with the
raspberries, blueberries or strawberries.

Thanks for any and all suggestions of things I can do to make the
soil as healthy as possible,

irene, outside of eatonville, wa

"Nothing will ever be attempted, if all possible objections must first be
overcome."
--Samuel Johnson

http://us.click.yahoo.com/O10svD/Me7FAA/AG3JAA/0PSxlB/TM