[compost_tea] Re; Why activate the compost?

From: irene bensinger <irene_at_trilliumwoods.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 12:42:42 -0700

Jeff wrote:

>The reason you want to activate the compost/humus is to first see if
>there are adequate fungi in the soil and second to get them growing.
>If you can't get the fungi to grow with oatmeal, you probably are
>not going to get great fungal numbers. The fungi don't multiply in
>the tea, they simply grow. Activating your compost/humus will start
>that process so they can continue to grow in the tea. The results
>appear to be more total fungi and more active fungi according to my
>tests ( and I hope those of others) so far. The method described
>this morning is great: use a flat container like a seed tray.
>I suggest you keep it in the dark and keep it warm and keep it
>covered.

Thanks, Jeff. That really helped me understand the process. Is there
an optimum level of the fungal growth for use in making CT? Would it
make sense to keep a container growing continuously? If I'm not
making tea, would it make sense to 'salt' the vegetable beds with the
fungal compost from time to time?

irene, still not quite clear on all the concepts/benefits/how-to's of
CT, eagerly awaiting arrival of the Compost Tea Manual.

Get A Free Psychic Reading!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/cjB9SD/od7FAA/AG3JAA/0PSxlB/TM