[compost_tea] Soil amendments, compost making

From: irene bensinger <irene_at_trilliumwoods.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 12:58:50 -0700

Someone recently mentioned that canola was detrimental to beneficial
microbes. I used canola meal as a soil amendment last fall -- is it
now going to nullify the beneficial microbes in the CT soil drench?

What else should I/shouldn't I add to my soil? Obviously nothing
gross or chemical, but what about lime? rock phosphate? kelp meal?
alfalfa meal? fish/bone meal?

I'm confused about where the cycle should logically start -- right
now I'm thinking that the things I add to the soil should then be
innoculated with beneficial microbes and fungi via CT. Or is it the
other way around?

Should I perhaps be adding these amendments directly to the compost
during the composting cycle? I have a lidded triple bin arrangement
made with heavy wire screen and cedar posts, each bin being about 1
cubic meter. The first bin is filled with chipped/shredded garden
wastes, kitchen (vegetable) wastes, layered with the alfalfa hay
litter from the chicken coop, plus coffee grounds from the local
espresso wagon. I keep the bin's contents moist, and poked full of
holes and stirred around until the bin is full. Then it's tossed
(more or less upside down) into the next bin, where it immediately
heats up again. This is the way I've been making compost for donkeys'
years. But maybe there is a better way to be doing this? The compost
is always *full* of worms and never smells bad, just earthy.

Thanks to everyone who takes the time to answer all these newbie questions.

irene

Get A Free Psychic Reading!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/cjB9SD/od7FAA/AG3JAA/0PSxlB/TM