RE: [compost_tea] Re: Copper heating element

From: Robert Norsen <bnbrew_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 22:38:05 -0700 (PDT)

Just right, Judi!! Yours is a geat example of what I have been yammering about. Simple isn't it? With that many members and that many trees you need to run the brewer daily. You can bath in the tea water. Good for diversity. Why there? The water in your house is going to be cold all the time Bob
Judi Stewart <js_at_olympus.net> wrote:

v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}..shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
For 200 gallons, I started with the hot water from our 50-gallon tank, using an adapter on the kitchen sink and garden hoses running out 100 feet to the brewer sitting in an unheated pump house. The hot water tank was set at 120 degrees but reached the brewer at 100 degrees. The hot water tank drained (which is a good thing to do periodically for tank maintenance) and fresh water coming in to the tank from the well pump had a chance to warm slightly before running out again to the brewer. Of course the flow from the tank was decreased at this point, but with other hoses from the house’s cold water spigot to the brewer, the temperature of the water in the brewer was at 80 degrees. It took about 2 hours to fill the brewer. I kept a small heater on in the pump house and the air temperature was 72 degrees and the brew stayed about the same. This is Bob’s Brewer; the one Bob Norsen graciously donated to our fruit club. We had our first batch of tea this weekend. The tea look
 ed and smelled great. The fruit club members drove up with their quart containers, gallon jugs, and some with 5-gallon buckets. The compost tea was gone in two hours. We’ll do this again next weekend.

Judi