[compost_tea] Heating & Maintaining CT water was "Copper Heating Element"

From: Merla Barberie <herbnmerla_at_supersat2.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 09:09:45 -0700

Message: 11
   Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 10:08:57 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Robert Norsen <bnbrew_at_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Copper heating element

Hi Jason You and others might do better to start with an efficient 80
gallon hot water
heater that puts and holds all the heat in the water rather than in the
surroundings. Then
fill your tank 80 gallons short of full with typical 52 F well water.
Add 80 gallons of
160 degree hot water and you are going to be at 70 degrees right away
and ready to start
the brew. No 2 day wait for the water to heat while the brewer tank
loses about half the
heat you are adding. A gas fueled HWH would be economical. compared to
electric if you
can use gas. Heat loss in the 24 hour brew will be partly offset by
microbic heating. An
air driven brewer will cool some. good in summer. Can be offset in
winter with in-tank
heater. External heaters are gong to put some heat in the tank and some
into the
surroundings. Not very effective. Defroster cable used to de-ice roof
edges can be used
by closing the thermostat. It won't take much heat to keep the system
warm. Bob.

How can we heat a 30 gallon brew when we don't have line power and we
have to make our CT in the vehicle we are going to disperse it from--a
van. Our ground water is 48-52ºF, but we get our water from a holding
tank that varies in temp according to ambient temp. It would take ~10
gallons of boiling water to warm up the water which we could heat in an
aluminum container over an open fire or with a propane torch. The most
efficient way of heating it would be to fill the barrel the day before
and park the van in the sun with the greenhouse effect working. The
problem is the overnight portion of the teamaking ceremony. Any ideas
about timing or whatever? What happens when it goes down to 40ºF?
Thanks goodness it's getting warmer.

Best,

Merla

Get A Free Psychic Reading!