[compost_tea] Re: Chelated materials

From: Kirk Leonard <kirk_at_oregonatural.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 11:27:26 -0700

Hi Thomas -- Thanks for your reply and clarification, but I'm still puzzled.

> ...the rules Washington State has in their Materials List for Organic
Growers say that a grower can use chelated minerals after they do a plan
tissue test and or a soil test. <
Huh? Seems to me using soil is using chelated minerals, since that's the
form of most minerals in soil, naturally. Chelated materials are akin to
gravity, it seems to me. Soil aggregation is a form of chelation. Unless I
am mistaken, humus is a chelated material. Worms use chelated materials
(sand, grit, organic particles) to keep their guts clean. Thank goodness
they don't need NOP approval for that.

You can't get compost or vermicompost without chelated materials in it. So
is WSDA saying you have to have plant tissue
or soil tests to justify the use of compost? That seems a bit much. If they
want to require a soil test, they should simply say so. Most conscientious
growers do that anyway.

While this still sounds to me like some kind of USDA ruse, I look forward to
hearing what you learn from WSDA. Hopefully they will recognize this as a
non-issue, unless they have some specific problem products to name.

-- Kirk

Get A Free Psychic Reading!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/cjB9SD/od7FAA/AG3JAA/0PSxlB/TM