Re: [compost_tea] Heating & Maintaining CT water and other subjects.

From: Mike Harvey <mharvey_at_westnet.com.au>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 09:20:27 +0800

I have been using a solar system to heat up about 600 gal(3000Litres) of wa=
ter for CT tank for the last 8 months. It is relatively simple, cheap and =
very effective if the sun is shining.
I use about 400metres of 3 quarter poly pipe with irrigation fittings. This=
 is placed on the roof of a shed. the water is pumped around and raises the=
 temp fairly fast say 4 hours from 13 deg C to 30 deg C (inoculation temp).
Obviously you would not need a system as big as this for smaller amounts ho=
wever the same principles apply. Storage of the heated water prior to use c=
an be useful also.
Also consider that the most energy for heating water is moving it from thos=
e first degrees not the last degrees.
You should not run the CT through the pipes though as films will build.
Regards Mike Harvey
www.composttea.com.au