Re: [compost_tea] Re: Re; Why activate the compost?

From: <Lmvine1_at_cs.com>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 15:33:29 EDT

In a message dated 5/5/2003 11:37:02 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
dloring3_at_cox.net writes:
> Dan - Have you by chance used saponin and fish hydrolysate in the same brew?
> I wonder if the oil in the FH might cancel some of the foam from saponin.
> Also, I've only found a "food quality" yucca extract for a source of
> saponin and it has sodium benzoate as a preservative which means it
> shouldn't be used, right?
>
> Dave

Dave, have tried vegetable oil without success to stop foaming. Don't think
there is enough oil in FH in quantities used in CT to limit foaming caused by
Yucca.
If the Yucca has preservative it will be detrimental to organism growth in
tea. I had some w/0.1% SB and it was detrimental. SFI tests to prove it.
Education is costly! Dan