[compost_tea] composting equipment, was This is a test

From: George and Paulette Mouchet <geomouchet_at_QNET.COM>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 06:34:57 -0700

Dear Bob:

The bottom third of your message came through a bit garbled. The quote you
attribute to me is not mine (<<As I recall your remark "But the (Magic)
equipment is so big and the process so expensive it ruins the idea of
individual and small operator composting. A small composer can't consider
that process." We were getting along with our old pile whatever it
does".>>)

I think aerated compost has a lot to offer. Certainly the AQMD here in
Southern California would be interested. The agency has been going after
backyard composters because their piles are producing air pollution...

However, I don't think it's very practical for the backyard composter. The
air blowing equipment needs electricity. I'd bet that most backyard
gardeners don't have a GFI electrical outlet next to their compost pile.
 Potential noise from the equipment is another concern. I'd like to find a
method of making regular compost that doesn't require all the equipment.
 Hence my interest in vermicomposting.

The benefits of vermicomposting are: no turning, no worries about mixing
the correct proportions of "browns" to "greens", and no smell.
 Vermicompost contains lots of beneficial organisms and is much better
compost for AACT than regular, high-heat compost.

I'm sure I sound like a Peace Corps type -- trying to find ways to take
AACT and "good" composting technology to the backwaters of the world...

Paulette