Re: [compost_tea] compost

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 07:18:27 EDT

Making good compost is something of an art, because each batch of starting
materials is different, and you have to learn to adjust your composting to
take those differences into account.

Merry Bradley, a Master Composter, in Eugene Oregon, and SFI have been
working on testing dfferent recipes for back-yard composting, and have come
up with something that works well, to get the temp, for the time needed, but
only NEEDS turning once, perhaps twice. Easy for back-yard gardeners to do
too.

The pub will be coming out, soon. But read soon as proably a year or so.
Takes time and money to do the proper science.

We have put the compost information back on the SFI website, because I have
not been able to get the compost book finished. Too many things we are still
learning about the microbiology of compost!

Where do you learn what we ar learning? You have to come to a seminar about
compost. One is coming up next week in Corvallis......

Elaine
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.
www.soilfoodweb.com
SFI Oregon, USA
SFI Australia
SFI New York
SFI Europe
SFI New Zealand

"Hope is not a feeling. It is not the belief that things will turn out well,
but the conviction that what we are doing makes sense, no matter how things
turn out." -- Vaclav Havel, former President of the Czech Republic