[compost_tea] Re: mycorrhiza

From: growest2002 <g.w.thomson_at_shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 04:53:18 -0000

Paulette-not sure if it's cause or effect, but it sounds like a good
bet that this area is low or lacking in mycos.

I think it was a talk by Dr. Amaranthus where he mentioned that
brassicas exude a toxic substance from their roots that actually
reduces the mycos in the soil. This was one reason to innoculate well
after cropping brassicas, since they will have eliminated the soil
mycos for any subsequent crops.

Obviously the non-mycorrhizal species like crucifers, chenopodiacea
and caryophyllacea will be adapted to highly bacterial dominated
soils. I think that means pigweed and lambsquarters also indicate a
bacterial domination.

So then, when we see these weeds, should be try to grow a related
crop, I wonder? Grow turnips where wild mustard wants to grow,
spinach where lambsquarters are taking over? Then again, it might be
hard to separate the weeds from the crop (?)

My cultivated area is covered in chickweed, anybody know what that
means? (other than lots of healthy salad fixins!)

Glen

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, George and Paulette Mouchet
<geomouchet_at_Q...> wrote:
> Was reading in the Soil Biology Primer that mustard, broccoli, and
spinach
> plants don't form mycorrhizal associations. Does this mean in
areas
where
> wild mustard is a weed, that the mustard is an indicator plant for
the lack
> of mycorrhizal fungi in the soil?
>
> Thanks,
> Paulette