[compost_tea] Re: arthropods

From: bobkacalek <kacalek_at_wwdb.org>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 13:51:38 -0000

The following is a prior post regarding fire ants. I have no personal
experience with fire ants other than the bite on vacation!

bob

   Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 19:57:17 -0500
   From: "John Dunbar" <jdunbar_at_dunbarco.com>
Subject: RE: New Boy

Malcolm Beck (Texas's original organic compost guru) says that
fireants
can't stand microbial activity (compost), orange oil (a now expensive
organic solvent), cow manure liquids, molasses, seaweed extract, fish
emulsion, and soap. He recommends you drench the mounds with
solutions
involving these organic materials. These can also be sprayed on
squash bugs
and leaf footed bugs to ill effect. I would assume you'd drop the
orange
oil and soap as being too harsh for your soils and use the remaining
items
to also help amend the soil. My understanding is that the orange oil
and
soap dissolve the ant's skin/skeleton, and the microbes start to
digest
anything tasty. This should be true with most insects.

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, George and Paulette Mouchet
<geomouchet_at_Q...> wrote:
> How do fire ants, both imported and domestic, fit into the soil
biology scheme?

> Is there some soil biology way to get rid of them?
>
> Paulette

Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!