Re: [compost_tea] Pumps and Aerob-a-jet

From: Thomas Giannou <thomas_at_tandjenterprises.com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 14:21:53 -0700

Lynton,

I don't think the micro bubbles accumulate like that. There is a saturatio=
n point... just as there is for DO. From what I have read, there is no evi=
dence to support an endless accumulation of microbubbles and therefore an o=
verflow situation. Micro bubbles can stay in suspension in water for a lon=
g time, but there is a physical limit that is governed by water temperature=
, what is dissolved or suspended in the water, atmospheric pressure, the si=
ze of the bubbles, and how many bubbles are present. They stay in suspensi=
on because there isn't enough force from the water around the bubbles to ca=
use them to combine or rise out of the solution. Why they stay in suspensi=
on has to do with water tension that allows them to be suspended. As they =
reach a saturation point, which is determined by the water tension needed t=
o retain them, they will come out of suspension because there isn't enough =
water tension to allow them to stay in suspension. There's a very similar =
thing that limits the amount of DO from the atmosphere that can physically =
be present in water. Many of the same kind of variables apply... water tem=
perature, what is dissolved or suspended in the water, atmospheric pressure=
, and the amount already in the water.

--Thomas Giannou
http://www.tandjenterprises.com