Re: [compost_tea] organism feeders

From: Steve Bridges <kimas_at_texasgrown.com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 21:24:15 -0500

To test for clopyralid in your compost,,,,,
Take a small container, fill with one half compost and one half potting soil
and plant a few bean seeds. If your bean seeds come up and show stunted
growth at the development of their first true leaves, or they die, then you
may have clopyralid in your compost.

To test for clopyralid in your hay,,,,,,
Fill a five gallon bucket with chopped hay and add water. Let it sit for a
day then mulch around some broadleaf weeds. Water it in for a few days. If
it kills the weeds, it will kill your other plants.

These tests also work with products containing 2-4-D, atrazine, or picloram.

Or you could, as we all should be doing with our produce
purchasing/consumption, know where that hay came from!

Steve Bridges
Kimas Tejas Nursery