Re: [compost_tea] arthropods

From: Steve Bridges <kimas_at_texasgrown.com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 22:16:02 -0500

Hi Judy,
Here is a recipe for an insect repellent. I've used it and it works!
      Garlic/Pepper Tea
      Ingredients: 2 bulbs garlic, 2 hot peppers, blender 1/2 full of water=
. Mix in blender. Strain solids and add to one gallon of water to make a co=
ncentrate. Use 1/4 cup of concentrate and two tablespoons of Horticultural =
Molasses per gallon of water for foliar applications that act as an effecti=
ve insect repellent for your plants. Do not use on insect pollinated vegeta=
ble plants.

      For fire ants, if you're not getting the control you want from just c=
ompost tea, you can use this recipe for mound control....rough up the mound=
 and slowly pour into the center. It takes a gallon per average size mound.

      To one gallon of compost tea, add;
      -four ounces of orange oil
      -two tablespoons of molasses

      Steve Bridges
      Kimas Tejas Nursery
      (who has time to participate now that the nursery business has slowed=
 down!)