[compost_tea] Re: compost

From: nehemiahlev <nehemiah_at_twelvetribes.com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 15:21:48 -0000

Hi Steve,

I remember our conversations a year or so ago and appreciate the
direction you helped point me in.

I am working with what I have and am encouraged with where we are
headed. Our fourth or fifth pile is curing right now and I am getting
ready to start another one. The compost is looking and smelling good,
and has good fungal threads throghout, but I have yet to have it
tested. One of my problems is in keeping the heat down. I started out
with too much wood and couldn't get it hot enough. The current pile
was made from horse manure with wood shaving bedding (25%) and tree
trimmings (25% green and 50% wood chips). Although I am trying to use
predominantly woody materials (as directed by Elaine's recipe), I
still needed to turn it every day for two or three weeks to keep the
temps below 160. I have been intrigued with the idea of large aerated
bins and wonder if that could be part of my solution. I have also
thought about some kind of a large tumbler but understand that can be
damaging. The only other solution I see is to build windrows and get
a turner for my bobcat. I do want to make plenty of compost for
landscape application but I don't want to start a major composting
facility.

I am also wondering about the diversity since I am only using a
couple of things. I am sure I could get more (like aging produce) but
it is difficult to coordinate everything at the same to build the
pile. I have been concerned about accumulating things and have tried
to build my piles within a couple of days. It seems there would be a
problem with anearobic conditions in acculating produce, manure, etc.
There must be a solution for this since it is not very practicle to
do it the way I am. Does anyone know?

I also am wondering about the size of woody materials I use. They are
not breaking down very good, even after a couple months of curing,
and I am wondering about them needing to be smaller or using some saw
dust.

Hoping to for continued input.
Ron

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "Steve Bridges" <kimas_at_t...>
wrote:
> Hey Nehemiah,
> You're making your own compost, just not in large enough quantities?
>
> If no one is doing large-scale composting, you've got to wonder
where all
> those good ingredients are going!?! Surely, if you started looking
around
> you could identify sources of carbon and nitrogen materials. Many
times
> those that have the materials will be happy to GIVE them to you,
even bring
> them to you. Try tree trimming companies, produce warehouses, or
feedlots.
> Call your city offices and find out about their waste stream and
see if they
> have anything to offer. Compost tea is wonderful stuff, but it
still doesn't
> beat the real thing.
> Steve Bridges
>
> p.s. And I'm all for including the discussion of the making of
compost on
> this listserve. Compost would be the key word in compost tea!!!

anyone.... at
> > this point! :) I spent half an hour turning my pile today.
> > >
> > > I think the reluctance to discuss compost is because to some of
us
> > the definition of the term says it all. For CT we don't want to
> > use "almost compost" or "has been" compost. Just compost. If
people
> > want to know how to make compost, there are a zillion websites
with
> > great instructions.
> > >
> > > Do you have specific questions?
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > > Jeff

> > compost_tea-unsubscribe_at_yahoogroups.com
> >

> > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Get A Free Psychic Reading!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/aM1XQD/od7FAA/uetFAA/0PSxlB/TM