Re: [compost_tea] microbial food

From: <Lmvine1_at_cs.com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 10:50:32 EDT

In a message dated 5/16/2003 10:34:50 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
nehemiah_at_twelvetribes.com writes:
> There has been mentioning before of microbial food for after the tea is
> applied, but
> very limited discussion.
> I would sure like to here from the experience of others.
> Ron

Good point Ron. I used CT on my soil last year and improved it some BUT I
believe (and Elaine also mentioned) long term food resources for the
organisms were not in the soil in sufficient quantity. My OM is less than
1.5% and is not sufficient to feed the herd after innoculation with CT.

This year I am adding foods to my CT just before applying such as HA,
molasses, Saponyn and Kelp. Upon advice of Erik Morgan of Terra Vita I am
using a pound of SP-85 per acre per application of CT, much more than I added
previously. I am adding foods to tea just before topping off sprayer and
spraying. My only concern is if I cause the tea to go anerobic. Of course
I could put the foods on in a separate spray but that is more labor and
passes in vineyard.

I mentioned this issue before but got no response. Hope this does better.
What are experiences with adding organism food and what do you use??

Dan Lynch
Long Mountain Vineyard