Re: [compost_tea] microbial food

From: <Lmvine1_at_cs.com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 13:37:38 EDT

In a message dated 5/16/2003 12:18:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jason.austin_at_shaw.ca writes:
> Dan - what is SP-85? What is the benefit of it?

It is Terra Vita's brand of soluble HA. Organism food and organic matter.
See here http://www.teravita.com/Products/Products.htm

Recommended rate 2 Tsp per 15 gallons for foliar and 1-2# per acre for soil
applications. BIG difference between foliar & soil applications as with most
nutrients.

> >> I am adding foods to tea just before topping off sprayer and spraying. My
>> only concern is if I cause the tea to go anerobic. Of course I could put
>> the foods on in a separate spray but that is more labor and passes in
>> vineyard.
> Agreed, but could it not be beneficial in some circumstances to have a
> nutrient based tea (kelp etc) in quantity, instead of just adding small
> quantities to the CT tea? I was thinking that if we are already set up
> with the spraying equipment, then why not spray the nutrients in quantity
> in a second pass (or first pass).

Too many nutrients in the tea would make it go anerobic unless you had huge
air supply. It's like Elaine has said before the Goldilocks principle not
too much, not too little. Dan