[compost_tea] microbial food

From: nehemiahlev <nehemiah_at_twelvetribes.com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 14:29:07 -0000

Hi,

While we are on the subject of compost, i thought I would throw in
another subject that seems relevant to compost tea. There has been
mentioning before of microbial food for after the tea is applied, but
very limited discussion. Recently Elaine commented extensively about
soil ammendments, in relationship to tea, which was very helpful. At
another time she mentioned a few people that use these, sometimes in
place of compost, to help in microbial development in the soil. If my
assessment is right there are three important pieces to the success
of compost tea. The quality of the tea, the compost that is applied
to the soil for solid substrates, and the food that continues to feed
the microbes. If that is right it seems they are all benefitial to
the discussion on this list.

Getting to the point, microbial food seems to fit in the category of
fertilizers and soil amendments. Because of a lack of good quality
organic fertilizers in this area of the country, I have been
experimenting with various products I have found at the feed mills. I
am using blends with feather meal, meat and bone meal, alfalfa meal,
soft rock phosphate and potassium sulfate. I also have available a
humate from Florida and poultry manure compost that I want to use. I
can find other things as well but want to use local sources whenever
I can. Right now everything is experimentation and am not sure of
what is best. I want to eventually package some of the blends and
market them to garden centers but want to know what works best with
tea. I had heard that poultry manure might not be so good but a
couple of people are using it with no problems. In fact it is the
main ingredient of Perfect Blend (I think made by EPM). It also seems
that we would want to use different products (blends?) for
encouraging varying micrrobial dominance. Basically it seems to me
that the design of fertilizers, and the use of other ammendments,
could be very benefitial to the sucess of compost tea.

I would sure like to here from the experience of others.
Ron

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/uetFAA/0PSxlB/TM