[compost_tea] mercury levels in Organic Gem

From: Jeff Young <sharkman_04101_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 10:23:28 -0700 (PDT)

The mercury levels in the sharks we use are very low. I am required to do to heavy metal testing on each lot we produce.

The reason the mercury isn't high is that these particular sharks are deep water, small (3 foot), and generally not very old 6 to 15 years. Heavy metals in sharks are more common with the inshore species and in particular in the large species (black tip and mako) as these fish live very long lives and heavy metals are accumulated over time.

Interestingly, the reason sharks have higher heavy metal contents compared to other fishes is that they do not have a urinary tract. They urinate through their skins. Their body is not able to pass the metals. The heavy metals (and trace minerals) accumulate in their skin. Because we incorporate the skins, our product has an excellent trace mineral content.

We just had a lab put together a nice trace mineral report on our material which also compares our levels with the accepted levels of heavy metals of the strictest states. I will have my guy post this on our website. It helps clear up any concerns.

Jeff Young
President
Advanced Marine Technologies
49 Hassey Street