[compost_tea] chelate question for the chemists out there

From: George and Paulette Mouchet <geomouchet_at_QNET.COM>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 15:58:06 -0700

I recently read that the "chelation process removes the positive charge
from metals [such as iron], allowing the neutral or slightly negatively
charged chelated molecule to slide through the pores on the leaf [I assume
they mean the stomata] and root surface more rapidly.
"These pores are negatively charged, so there is a problem with fixation of
positively charged minerals at the pore entrance. There is no such
restrictive barrier for the neutral, chelated mineral."
I was under the impression that beneficial bacteria were required to
separate the chelate from the metal in order for the plant to actually use
it. How can this happen if the molecule slips inside the plant first?
Are there bacteria/fungi INSIDE the plant that then break down the chelated
product?
OR can both process occur: some of the molecules are broken down by
beneficial organisms break and some go inside the plant without being
broken down and are used "as is"?

Many thanks!
Paulette

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/uetFAA/0PSxlB/TM