Re: [compost_tea] Bulb Mites and CT

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 16:18:45 EDT

Jason asked if the tent catepillars were sprayed with a high bacterial brew.
Bacteria do not attack and consume the cuticles of most insects. You need
Beauveria, or Entomophagus, another genus of insect-attacking fungi. If you
have put paper or cardboard into your compost, and have any natural source of
these fungi in the organic matter you add to your compost, these fungi will
typically be present.

I want to point out that Monrovia is now selling a really great little 5 gal
tea brewer! It gets great fungal AND bacterial numbers, is just about
impossible to drive anaerobic (you have to do something stupid like use 1% sugar or
higher to see a problem). I recommend this small brewer for anyone who wants a
little, home-owner size machine!!!!

Elaine Ingham
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.
www.soilfoodweb.com
SFI Oregon, USA
SFI Australia
SFI New York
SFI Europe
SFI New Zealand

"Hope is not a feeling. It is not the belief that things will turn out well,
but the conviction that what we are doing makes sense, no matter how things
turn out." -- Vaclav Havel, former President of the Czech Republic