[compost_tea] Re: NOP and CT

From: allisonhornor <allisonhornor_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 21:16:36 -0000

Hi all,

I'm very interested in the dialogue about the NOP and whether or not
they support the use of compost tea. I found the compost Task Force
reccomendations on the NOSB website and they said: "since compost
teas are curently under review, they are not eligible to satisfy
section 205.203 (c) at this time." That specific section is the one
regarding soil amendments and compost in the final NOP standards. Of
course, being a scientist, I have no idea what all of this government
speak means, are they allowed or not allowed? Maybe we could ask
someone on the board.

http://www.ams.usda.gov/nosb/NOSBrecommendations/CompostTaskForce.pdf

Take care,
Allison

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, soilfoodweb_at_a... wrote:
> I am very behind on my reading of the CT list, but I was reading a
note from
> Kirk of Oregon Natural, where he said that CT was not allowed by
the NOP.

> There are individuals who say CT is not allowed, but they have no
back-up to
> say that. There is no written statement to that effect by the
NOP. Thus,
> the position of CT not being allowed is not a defendable one by any
certifier
> making a statement that CT is not allowed.
>
> Any organic person who wanted to could challenge their certifier,
and the
> certifier could not support their position. Therefore, CT use is
allowed.

> When someone you know says someone else says that CT is not
allowed, please
> have them tell you who said that, when, and in what circumstances.
I'll call
> the person up and try to track down who is spreading the rumor that
CT is not
> allowed.
>
> Elaine Ingham
> President, Soil Foodweb Inc.
> www.soilfoodweb.com
> SFI Oregon, USA
> SFI Australia
> SFI New York
> SFI Europe
> SFI New Zealand
>
> "Hope is not a feeling. It is not the belief that things will turn
out well,
> but the conviction that what we are doing makes sense, no matter
how things
> turn out." -- Vaclav Havel, former President of the Czech
Republic

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/CNxFAA/0PSxlB/TM