Re:[compost_tea] Q's: Applying Compost Tea

From: growest2002 <g.w.thomson_at_shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 14:25:51 -0000

Kevin-maybe I can give my 1 cents worth on soil drenching.

As you pointed out, adding a reasonable "depth" of water to an acre
of
land involves enormous amounts of water. And yes, this water should
be dechlorinated from what everyone has shared on this list.

My tiny bit of experience this year has led me personally to use our
spring rains to soak in these soil drenches, rather than trying to
add
enough carrier water to move the AACT into the root zone.

By watching the weather forecast, along with the very wet spring we
have had in the Pacific Northwest (south of you tho!) I've been able
to drench soil and nursery containers prior to or during 1/2 to 1 in.
rainfall events here. So much faster and more effective than trying
to provide those thousands of gallons of dechlorinated water myself.

I'm just not sure I'd try to duplicate that now that the substantial
rains are done till fall...just plan on doing all the soil drench
during the spring or after fall rains have started.

This isn't applicable to other areas with quite different weather
patterns, but wonder what others in the wet coast applying tea think
of my take on this.

And thanks Kevin for bringing this subject up. An acre inch is that
much water...I know I'll never be able to apply that economically and
get paid enough to do it!

Glen

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "kevin john richardon"
<kmagic_at_b...> wrote:
> Howdy Pards,
>
> I am slightly embarrassed (but not really, cause I make mistakes a
lot) to have been eronious with data in my firstever letter to yall.

> The real numbers are (I asked a farmer; they know their stuff):
>
> 1 Acre inch = 27,154 gallons
>
> 1/8 Acre inch = 3400 gallons = .07805 / 1 sq. ft.
> it seems impracticle to equip myself to bring this volume of water
with me. I think this volume would be extremely challenging for me
spray in a reasonable legnth of time to remain economically viable.

> My target application rate is 1 Acre per Hour.
>
> 1/32 Acre inch = 850 gal = .01951 gal / 1 sq.ft.
> = 14.16 gpm flow (1 Hr)
> 1/64 Acre inch = 425 gal = .00975 gal / 1 sq.ft.
> = 7.083 gpm flow (1Hr)
> Application approximate to these ratios of volume to area seem more
practicle. I believe I can configure to achieve a flow that fits my
arbitrary yet critical criterion of time.

> Among the questions are:
> Does application of compost tea at a ration of this volume of water
support the water requirements of the microbes? Will the application
result in desired effects? Is the volume great enough to be
considered a root drench? Would supplemental watering be necessary,
immediately?

> Or is there equipment available (configurations) capable of putting
down more water (gpm) during application?

> Specifications to consider:
> *It has been suggested to me that a diaphram pump has the gentlest,
least violent action on the microbes.

> *The Brewing manual suggests 100 psi up to 600 psi is acceptable to
transport microbes, yet microbes should contact surfaces at no more
than 20 - 80 psi.

> *Gallons Per Minute Flow
> *Total water Volume per Acre
>
> I am attempting to configure a Compost Tea Spraying Truck (truck
specs: 2001 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax Diesel (454 cu.in., 6.0 turbo),
Alison 5 speed Transmission, 6.5 ft. box, 3200lbs. payload; 12000
lbs.
tow capacity) with Hand operated wand-type spraying as well as boom
operated spraying capabilities.

> Seems like a trailer may need to be considered to enter system
configurations to meet water demands.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/CNxFAA/0PSxlB/TM