RE: [compost_tea] Re: dechlor and water

From: Tom Jaszewski <tomj_at_livesoil.com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 18:39:18 -0700

"It is the list administrators' intentions to protect the integrity of the
science of compost teas and their benefits by promoting science over
anecdotal "evidence."

Anything less than TOTAL removal of chlorine, as shown by our test results,
in tea production produces reduced biology and poorer quality tea!
Charlie's filter does NOT remove all chlorine and if your water source uses
Chloramines they are likely NOT removed.
Chlorine removal is dependent on contact time with carbon media.
If posters are happy with their tea results regardless of chlorine levels
that's fine.
Lets just be clear here YOU ARE REDUCING BIOLOGICAL ACTIVITY UNLESS ALL
chlorine is removed.
Chloramines are NOT removed by bubbling or letting water sit, they are
persistent.

TEST YOUR MUNICIPAL WATER WITH A RELIABLE POOL TESTING COMPANY OR WATER
TESTING LAB.

YOU MUST TEST FOR TOTAL CHLORINE TO INSURE CHLORINE AND CHLORAMINES ARE
REMOVED.

Tom Jaszewski