Re: [compost_tea] caterpillars

From: Jason Austin <jason.austin_at_shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2003 13:07:51 -0700

Bob reported recently that a nest of tent caterpillars appeared to have
been knocked out by his TEA. Unfortunately he had no more nests
available to test,. so I sprayed some with my alfalfa/kelp brew 3 days
ago. I didn't expect much because I thought my brew was more a nutrient
tea than the high baterial TEA that Bob makes.

I checked the nests today and found them more or less wiped out, with
just a few live ones left - probably out of the nest when I sprayed. I
think we can attach photos on this list, so I have attached one. I will
be spraying again today and I will try another nest (no shortage up this
way Bob!) - but this time I will photograph before sprayting and then
track each day to see if there are the same results. It is tempting to
draw conclusions from this, but I'll wait to see what the second spray does.

Jason

Robert Norsen wrote:

> I looked Jason;
> Well the neighbor had 5 tents in one low flowering plum, would have
> been a geat test but he knew how to get rid of em. He cut off the
> branches. End or test. The tent on my tree is still huddlef with the
> dam caterpillers getting smalle and not movin off the tent. The
> nearby leaves are not being eaten. No expansion of the tent. I
> haven't found other tents in my aea. But I have sprayed CT several
> times so mybe they are not getting big enough to notice. I suggest
> you try some in your area and let us know results Bob
>
> Jason Austin <jason.austin_at_shaw.ca> wrote:
>

> Hi Bob
>
> Robert Norsen wrote:
>
> > My TEA
>
> - sorry, I stand corrected <grin>
>
> > is always high bacterial. Sometimes medium fungal working toward
> > high fungal
> > Bob of bobsbnbrew.com web site soon!! Finally coming to a local
> > computer!! Bob
>
> I'm still interested in your experience that a spray of your tea has
> quelled a nest of tent caterpillars. Tent caterpillars are making
> a big
> comeback this season up here on Vancouver Island, and if CT really
> is an
> effective weapon against them that would be good to know. Bob, if
> you
> spray any more could you let us know the results please.
>
> Thanks
>
> Jason

> compost_tea-unsubscribe_at_yahoogroups.com
>

> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is su
> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
> <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1512248/D=egroupweb/S=1707418612:HM/A=1564415/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60164784&partid=3170658>

> compost_tea-unsubscribe_at_yahoogroups.com

Tent_caterpillars.JPG
(image/jpeg attachment: Tent_caterpillars.JPG)