[compost_tea] Re: MSDS

From: Kirk Leonard <kirk_at_oregonatural.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 11:32:20 -0700

Kevin -- Fascinating question and problem. MSDS's usually are required for
hazardous products, very different from CT, but I understand the company's
concern. As the maker, I'd suggest you could write one yourself with a
little research, but this might be something ICTC would want to do? I would
run it by them in any event. Businesses that sell hazardous stuff, e.g.,
paint, chemicals, "-cides" are now required to provide them on request, I
believe, so you could get one or several and use as a template. It'd be
interesting to see and likely useful if only for educational value...
Imagine the hardwired-chem-head guy reading an MSDS on a product that's good
for orchids and you can safely ingest...:-) If you have a library near
that's one of the federal repositories (often at colleges, capitals, county
seats, I think) it's probably a good idea to look up what's required in OSHA
regs. Should be able to find it online, even. Seems like you'd need a
couple lab reports, maybe a standard chem-head test and could wing it from
there? I would love to see the guy's face when you told him to drink it and
see... -- Kirk

> Message: 17
> Date: 2 Jun 2003 07:43:30 -0000
> From: "kevin john richardon" <kmagic_at_backpacker.com>
> Subject: MSDS

> A potential client would like the Material Safety Data Sheet on Compost
Tea
> before they will proceed with the use of TEA.

> Where/How does one aquire a MSDS? Does a MSDS need to be aquired by the
> Brewer? Do Brewer Manufacturers have a MSDS or more likely, do folks
selling
> material for use in brewing have a MSDS? Is this a service SFI could
> provide Brewers, because the Brewer (as the last link in the chain) is
with
> whom the ultimate responsibility lies for providing safe material. Is
there
> a MSDS out which umbrellas all compost tea (hardly likely, I know,
but...)?

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/0PSxlB/TM