Re: [compost_tea] Defining what is compost tea exactly

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 09:18:23 EDT

OK, but do you add any other food resource?

So, are you doing the tea the way the manufacturer suggests, with the
addition of the food resource they sell, at the rates they sell it?

If you aren't adding a food resource, otehr than the shrimp and maybe some
omcpost, then you are doing things very differently than the manufacturer
suggests, right?

and probably a very good thing too, because you aren't adding enough food to
grow the orgnaisms very rapidly, thus driving the system anaerobic. So, no
problem then.

But using what you are describing, you could use three or four air stones on
the bottom of the tank and get the same results, without having spent the $300
to $500 for the Soil Soup unit.

If you are doing other things, I'd sure like to know, because I would like to
know when the Soil Soup machine can work. And if you put in less foods than
what the manufacturer suggests, then you need to apply at a heavy rate, for
example, all 30 gallons of the tea on 100 square foot area, in order to get
good coverage. Small gardens, not a problem. Large acreages, no way.

Elaine Ingham
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.
www.soilfoodweb.com
SFI Oregon, USA
SFI Australia
SFI New York
SFI Europe
SFI New Zealand

"Hope is not a feeling. It is not the belief that things will turn out well,
but the conviction that what we are doing makes sense, no matter how things
turn out." -- Vaclav Havel, former President of the Czech Republic