Re: [compost_tea] Re: non-native species of earthworms

From: Autumn Scott <autumn_at_olympus.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 12:30:05 -0700

Chris,
Thank you for your interesting response to the brief article I posted. The
article was several years old, but it's been in the back of my mind for
awhile, as I also have a strong interest in environmental issues.
Earthworms are great in gardens, but we need to be open to the possibility
that in natural ecosystems, such as forests, they may be detrimental,
rather than beneficial. I appreciate you passing on the study done in New
York; I wonder if any studies have been done on the West Coast? I've been
involved with native plant issues on the Olympic Peninsula for a long time,
and am well aware of the problems of invasive exotic plants in natural
ecosystems. Prevention of problems is so much better than trying to deal
with them later, which often is not even possible. Recently I've even
wondered whether there might be any problem we're not considering when
compost with microbes from, for example, Alaska, is shipped around the
continent, or even to other continents. Maybe it's ok in gardens, but
perhaps we shouldn't do restoration work with it? Just some thoughts I've
had lately.
Autumn

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/0PSxlB/TM