Re: [compost_tea] Re: Defining what is compost tea exactly

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 08:20:16 EDT

After Kirk and I hash out some of the points that we are dancing around, then
I'll put the info on the list serve. But I think the hashing out process
does not need to be on the list serve and take up people's time. I suspect we'd
just confuse people very much.

When the compost has great fungal biomass, but those fungi aren't coming out
in the brew, it says the brewer isn't extracting the fungi, or those fungi are
being destroyed during the brewing process.

As you change things to try to stop the fungi from being lost, you probably
need to test for just active fungi and total fungi, until you see some
improvement. I am not an engineer, so I can't really tell what is causing the
reductions. I learned my lesson on getting involved in the engineering part the hard
way. I leave engineering to the engineers now. We just test the tea so you
know if the machine is doing what it is supposed to do.

Elaine Ingham
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.
www.soilfoodweb.com
SFI Oregon, USA
SFI Australia
SFI New York
SFI Europe
SFI New Zealand

"Hope is not a feeling. It is not the belief that things will turn out well,
but the conviction that what we are doing makes sense, no matter how things
turn out." -- Vaclav Havel, former President of the Czech Republic