Re: [compost_tea] Peach Leaf Curl and correction

From: Robert Norsen <bnbrew_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 09:36:31 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Merla - I have that problem. Had that problem. Sprayed with CT often and loud. It has gone away for now. Will it be back in the spring? I don;t know. Bob

Merla Barberie <herbnmerla_at_supersat2.net> wrote:We sprayed dormant oil with sulfur (Polysol) on the few new fruit trees
of a friend and he has peach leaf curl in one of his two peach trees.
I looked up the disease on the Net, but it doesn't tell what to do after
the fact. My idea is just to put some bacterial/fungal CT on the poor
tree to ease its distress. Any other suggestions? What should our
friend do in the future? Can we do anything to protect the unaffected
peach tree now? He is not organic and he doesn't have a computer. I
found a good Net listing for

2003 ORGANIC PEACH & NECTARINE PROGRAM
                 2003 ORGANIC PEACH & NECTARINE PROGRAM DORMANT SPRAY
(Coryneum blight, peach leaf curl) • Nu-Cop 50DF 8 – 12 lbs./acre
‚Ä¢ + Nufilm 17 1 ‚Äì 1 ¬* pt./acre ‚Ä¢ Blu-Min Zinc Sulfate Crystals 20
– 40 lbs./acre Apply before bud swell. www.nwwinc.com

Can someone translate this for 2 trees or have something better to tell
our friend?

CORRECTION in Herb's recent email to the group. I am motivated by my
Bio-dynamic beliefs to want to do a full BD pepper spraying on the whole
road which involves spraying three times on consecutive days. The
difference between a Bio-Dynamic pepper spraying and a compost tea
spraying runs together for Herb. We just finished doing a whole BD
protocol on the road right of way. It took days and hours and hours of
work to prepare the homeopathic D-7 weed pepper and hand stir the
preparation. We used three barrels and made 6 trips to the road.

When we spray CT, we can only use one barrel at a time because we have
only one CT maker and CT has to be sprayed at once. We used it on a
grass seeding. We're not trying to contol weeds with CT, but only to
add microorganisms to make the plants that we want there to grow. We
also have test plots with CT and an NPK limited nutrient addition to see
what happens over a long period of time.

Our spotted knapweed and common tansy are getting high now on the right
of way. We will weed eat them with our weedeaters that we bought on the
grant, but that's not going to kill them. The flame weeder holds
promise for the early spring, but doesn't work too well on large tough
weeds.

Best,

Merla Barberie
Herb's HERBS/Farmers Market at Sandpoint
Rapid Lightning IPM Weed Control Project

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor