[compost_tea] Re: New poll for compost_tea

From: Graeme Gerrard <ggerrard_at_resonant.com.au>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 05:12:48 +1000

> It might be interesting to find out how many of us are to far away
>from labs that can do SFW type testing.How are you then evaluating
>your tea.If it is white ,floats on water and goes quack,is it a duck?
>Until we get a decent lab here in africa ,what else can we do ??---
>In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Lowenfels" <jeff_at_g...> wrote:
>> Periodic tea testing is crucial. There are three hundred or so
>members on this list. There should be at least 300 'yes' responses to
>this poll!

I raised this question here at a group meeting, where we are 4 - 5
days from the Lismore lab (and that's what they call "overnight"
delivery!). People tended to say the only real way of testing, was
not how many of this or that microbe was in the brew, but how the tea
effected the plant growth, health, disease problems, etc.
Trial plots was the way people wanted to go.
I know there is a more scientific interest in CT for some, but for
growers, it either works or it don't. Of course, if it doesn't work,
you have to figure out why and that is where we have to do our own
experimentation.
I guess most agricultural practises over the last 10,000 years were
developed without labs.(I know - that's why it has taken so long!)

--
Graeme Gerrard
ggerrard_at_resonant.com.au

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/0PSxlB/TM