Re: [compost_tea] Re: Soak in a Bucket CT

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 09:41:39 -0400

Kirk, please, manure has pathogens in it. You cannot say there is no reason to restrict it's use.

There is every reason to make absolutely certain that people understand the dangers of manure. There are dangers. Don't dismiss them.

Manure tea can increase the number of those pathogens, especially if you don't aerate it. If you apply that material more than 120 days befor conusming the produce, you are most likely going to be ok, IF YOU HAVE A GOOD FOODWEB IN THE SOIL.

But get real about the dangers. They are not insignificant.

You do the world of compost and compost tea no favors when you try to put across the attitude that the pathogens in manure are no big deal.

They are a big deal.

I will get to responding to your e-mail about the kinds of compost tea, but I just don't have time right now.

Elaine Ingham
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.
SFI Corvallis, OR
SFI Port Jefferson, NY