[compost_tea] Help on First Brew

From: chris reid <reidchris_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 09:31:27 -0400

Okay, the Brute garbage can (aka brewing bucket) is out of the bathroom and
onto a concrete slab under the back deck stairs, shaded by lattice and
protected from overhead by a tarp tacked under the stairs.

First brew is under way, and I have some questions. I'm copying Paul Sachs
and Bob Norsen since I'm using their products, but thought that the answers
might benefit other new compost brewers so have sent it to the list.

I started at 4 pm yesterday, and it's about 9 am now. I am assuming an 18
hour cycle due to higher temps, but I just made up the number with the help
of a hat, based on other peoples' logs. The weather has been hot and the
water started at 80 degrees. Other than adding ice, that's the coolest I've
gotten the water since last week after de-chlor it was 82 degrees.

First, smells fine. There is no foam; only scattered groups of bubbles --
which, by the way, were also not there until I started adding fungi booster
late in the process. I have noted that some people use the bubbles from
certain food sources as an indicator of presence of food, and a clue if the
brew is going anaerobic. In approximately 13-15 gallons of water (15 several
days ago but I think some evaporated before I started), I am using 5 cups of
tea compost from NCO, 2.5 ounces by measure not weight of Fungi Booster
(estimated by measuring the whole pack, then calculating how many
tablespoons in an ounce, and adding accordingly). I added just under 1/2
ounce at 2 hours into the brew; then began adding increments more fungi
booster directly to the tea (not into Bitti Bobolator) at 5:30 am, 7:30 am,
and will add more at 9:30 am.

I used water that I had dechlorinated via bubbling method several days
prior. I have aerated periodically since then but not immediately prior to
starting brew. Using a 32 gallon garbage can that I initially cleaned the
garbage can with detergent, rinsed out with diluted distilled vinegar to get
rid of the soap bubbles, followed by plain water.

I did scroll back through some of the archives before writing, though not
every message ever written. If this has been discussed before ad nauseum, I
would welcome your pointing out previous message to which I should attend.

I can hardly wait to try this stuff.

I poured a quarter cup on a bare root clematis I just started growing. Maybe
it's my imagination but it sure looked like it was standing up straighter
when I looked back a few minutes later. It appeared to be trying to salute
(grin).

Chris Reid