Re: [compost_tea] Re: Hydroponics vs. Soil Bacteria

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 03:37:05 -0400

1. How do microorganisms in sea water compare to microorganism in soil?

They are quite different from a species point of view, but share similar functional requirements.

2. Can CT be used as a hydroponic food source? Alone or with other amendments added?

Yes, CT can be used as a hydroponics solution, you need to know what the plants require, and match those needs in the CT

3. Would the sodium chloride in DILUTED sea water harm the
microorganisms in CT if the two were mixed?

It all depends on the dilution used. We often use a buffer of salt solution to prevent harm to the microbes in our culture mixes.

4. What is your response to lab tests showing (alleged -- I don't have the numbers) higher mineral counts in produce grown out of soil rather than in soil? What does this say about the "soil food web?"

We can get plants to take up all kinds of things by putting their roots into different solutions. Are those higher mineral levels healthy for the people who eat them? Is that really what we need to do? Or is the CORRECT balance of minerals with proteins, sugars, fatty acids, etc actually the better food?

Trying to understand the process --

a) Weil they make money (short term) while we finish destroying the land.

That one I can't answer. What is destroying land is the use of toxic chemicals to grow food, use of petroleum, dumping wastes, etc. I can't say that humanity will stop in time. But, I also know that hydroponics hastens the process of destruction by using excessive salts and nutrients in the hydroponics solutions. CT remediates that requirement.

b) after finishing off the ocean (limited by our land
resources) we die.

Too many variables to know the answer

c) Not sustainable (technos will not save our egos).

We have to convert folks to sustainable

> d) What decision process are engaged here?

Don't jump on a band wagon just because someone says "this is better". Data are required. Where are the data?

Elaine Ingham
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.
SFI Corvallis, OR
SFI Port Jefferson, NY
SFI Lismore, NSW, Australia
SFI Hilversum, The Netherlands
SFI Cambridge, New Zealand
www.soilfoodweb.com

Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US & Canada.
We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark, Canon & more.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/kP..SB/49VGAA/ySSFAA/0PSxlB/TM